One of the many marvelous aspects of Christopher Newport is our location. Being located in such a historic part of not only Virginia, but also America, proves very beneficial for off-campus day trips. Yorktown is about 20 minutes from here and offers an extensive amount of quintessential shops, local restaurants and a picturesque beachfront.
Yorktown (YT) Beach/Riverwalk Landing:
- Beachfront: the two-acre shoreline is perfect to flock to right at the beginning of fall semester and then again at the end of spring semester with all of your friends for a stress free afternoon.
- Ben and Jerry’s: it always a delight to end up in an ice cream shop but this is one of the highlights of YT especially during Ben and Jerry’s free cone day and the perfect addition to a beach trip.
- Yorktown Bookshop: a local bookshop with a highly knowledgeable staff selling lightly used books from many different genres.
- Water Street Grille: living in a coastal region, seafood is no longer a luxury but a necessity. With an all-around good atmosphere and diverse menu, this is perfect for birthday dinners as well as a nice place for your parents to take you when they visit.
Other fun spots around Yorktown:
- Pops Drive-In: for over 50 years this restaurant has been in YT serving classic American dishes with small-town charm.
- Yorktown Battlefields: for history majors and history buffs, the historic YT battlefields are where the Revolutionary War was rung victorious!
- Yorktown Bowling: For a night of retro fun, grab a group of friends for bowling alley fries and a night of fun!
This corner of the historic triangle is a great destination for a quick trip to see the water and enjoy a break from study not too far from campus.