Christopher Newport University is prominently located in between Hampton Roads and the Historic Triangle. One of my personal favorites around CNU is Williamsburg. This corner of the Historical Triangle provides an experience of rich history, shopping and local food vendors. So if you’re looking for a day off campus Williamsburg is a sure bet for a day of food, fun and shopping.
- The Cheese Shop
- A specialty food store that sells handcrafted sandwiches and the perfect lunch for a day in Williamsburg
- The Blackbird Bakery
- Incredible gourmet pastries and coffee in a small bakery set off from the main square
- Mermaid Books
- Used and rare books in a downstairs shop that encourages sitting and reading for hours
- Kimball Theater
- Collides arts from on- and off-screen productions from the past and present
Colonial Williamsburg (CW)
- Ghost Walks
- For those who are much more adventurous, CW offers guided tours around the colonial settlement infused with tales and stories of colonial past.
- Dog Walks
- On a Saturday morning you can find many dogs (and their owners) walking along the colonial cobble stone and almost always willing to let you pet their dog.
- Historic Walks
- Especially in fall, just walking around the grounds of the colonial homes, buildings and lawns.
- Williamsburg Premium Outlets
- You can find almost any clothing, athletic and designer store in these outlets that can easily make up a whole day.
Busch Gardens during special events (aka discounted tickets!)
- Late September through October the park is opened as a haunted Halloween themed arena that gets everyone in the Halloween spirit.
- Christmas Town
- The park is fully decorated in beautiful colored lights with every part of the park having a theme that leads to a huge lit tree in the middle of the park.
The ideal Williamsburg day is in late fall when there is crispness in the air and the need for a slow day off campus. Sometimes as students we just need to stop studying and reading and take a break to enjoy a day with friends and no agenda!