Stories From Senior Year: Part 2

I’m slowly finishing the assignments and projects this semester is throwing my way, and even though winter break feels so far away, I realize 2015 will be over before I know it. In the meantime, what do I do to alleviate pent-up stress? [Other than my common habit of curling up in bed and taking a three-hour nap – there is no shame in that, my friends.]

This past Friday was pretty overcast and gloomy; my roommates and I had lounged around the suite for the entire afternoon because walking over to campus seemed like too much effort. Around 5 p.m., one of my roommates poked her head in my doorway.

“Wanna build a blanket fort in the common room?”

[My answer to that question is always ‘yes’.]

We spent the next hour and a half carefully planning out and constructing an elaborate tent-like thing that took up most of the common room. It’s amazing what you can do with seven blankets, a lot of string, and push pins. Though hanging parts of the fort put me in precarious positions – balancing on one leg on the top of an armchair holding a handful of thumbtacks, just to name one – the danger was completely worth the finished product. Once done, we turned on the twinkly lights in our room, ordered some pizza and kicked our feet up for the night.

It doesn’t matter if it’s senior year and you just turned 22, or you just arrived as a newly minted freshman; sometimes you need to fall back into childhood habits and goof off with your friends. The homework will still be there when you decide to come back to reality, I promise!