Honor Code

Christopher Newport University has one very unique component to its community. Many schools have an honor code, but we uphold ours like no other.

Just about every day, I leave at least one of my belongings somewhere around campus, whether it’s my phone or my backpack, and every time I come back it is untouched and exactly where I left it. When I go into Regatta’s or Commons for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I normally always place my backpack and my phone down at the table where I am sitting then leave to go grab food. When I go to the library, I place my books and laptop out on the table where I plan to get my work done. If I leave to go to Einstein’s Cafe,¬†and come back, my things are unbothered.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to remember that outside of Christopher Newport, the world does not operate the same. I cannot just go into a restaurant and leave my belongings around and be 100 percent confident they won’t get taken.

The trust that we all share with each other on this campus is something that I think gets overlooked very often. I am grateful for CNU and the honor code because it shows me that society isn’t all bad.