For the Love of the Arts!

It’s easy to get so caught up in homework and campus organizations that I forget all about the many things Newport News (and CNU) have to offer that aren’t school-related. The Ferguson Center for the Arts is a great example of this: so many awesome performers and shows come to perform each semester that I miss simply because my major and other activities don’t take me near the Ferg that often.

A family friend of mine works in the Ferg’s office, and several weeks ago she told me about a program called My Stage @ The Ferg. To quote from its website, it’s a group that “offers special events and business networking opportunities for Hampton Roads’ college students and young professionals (age 18-35) who share an interest in the performing arts.” Membership is free, and some of the benefits include special pre- and post-show parties, possible meet-and-greets with the performers for the evening, and networking events with other young professionals from this area! All of those things sounded great, so I signed up.

My first event with My Stage @ The Ferg was this past weekend; The National Acrobats and Circus of the People’s Republic of China put on an incredible show called Peking Dreams. There were aerialists gracefully spinning in loops and swirls, precisely choreographed dances, men and ladies balancing and juggling umbrellas, bowls, and hoops, a dizzying strength display by a man with chairs stacked almost to the theater’s ceiling, and so, so, so much more. Truly, words like incredible and amazing don’t even begin to describe their show.

Right before the show started, I was invited (through my My Stage membership) to a catered dinner. The food was fantastic, and as we were finishing up, some of the acrobats and performers came out to put on a quick act just for us! Let’s just say the bar for juggling has been set very high.

Branch out of your normal routine – you just might be surprised at what’s right outside your dorm door. And, check out what our Ferguson Center has to offer!

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset