Some of my favorite parts about being a Christopher Newport University student are the places that my friends and I get to adventure to on the weekends. Norfolk (pronounced: nor-fik by the locals) is about a 40-minute drive from campus. The city of Norfolk has an impressive local/gourmet food scene that I only recently was educated on (shameful, I know, as I am already a junior).
One of the first times I went into Norfolk was to see a concert at the club-style venue, the Norva. I often go to the Norva for concerts and like any pre-concert ritual, I somehow always find a good dinner location. Here are some of my favorite places that I’ve found:
For all the foodies:
- The Grilled Cheese Bistro: For any grilled-cheese aficionado looking for a not-so-average sandwich. Serving gourmet grilled cheese, their small menu has proved time and again its cheesy goodness. They also specialize in fries, fried pickles, salads and craft drinks that are all uniquely delicious.
- The Handsome Biscuit: This is perfect for a quick bite for breakfast or a late brunch while shopping around Norfolk. Freshly made-to-order biscuits make this morning trip worth it for a tasty southern delicacy well done. (Editor’s note: try the Fitzgerald, it’s amazing!)
- No Frill Bar and Grill: With a commitment to fresh food simply done, this restaurant is great for brunch, lunch and dinner any day. Their menu has classic American dishes and some unique salads, and I have found that everything here is just fresh and good.
- Field Guide: Self-described as an urban eatery, this is for foodies and friends alike. They offer gourmet-esque rice bowls, sandwiches and desserts all under $10. Friendly people, prices and all around tasty food.
- Toast: Literally serves their dishes on thick toasted bread. Their various open face toasted sandwiches are unique-similar to the venue. The location also offers music events throughout the year. The perfect combo of dinner and a show.
Norfolk has an impressive food scene and if you’re anything like me, it provides more than enough opportunities to go out with your friends and try something new!